Photo Project 365

This is a photo blog focused on but not limited to study of composition and tonal relations in photographs.

It is a continuation my Project 365 from 2010 a moderately successful attempt to make and publish one photography each day for one year.

The Project lost it's steam somewhere half along the way and this place became a depository of my more satisfying photos.

Click photos to enlarge.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

D 75 - Tinkering in the bathroom



I just recalled that I had still some options to improve the quality of photos made at high ISO setting in my DSLR. So I tinkered around with them looking for optimal adjustment.

Equipment

E-510 with Pentacon 30 3.5.
Channel mix, levels and sharpness in Lightroom.

What I learned

Modern DSLR is a little computer with lens. So there is always something new to find within the extended menus.

This time I recalled that even before I bought my E-510 I knew that it gives best results when noise reduction is off and sharpness is reduced from the default settings. I changed this a year ago and forgot about it.

I set ISO to 1600 (max for E-510), pushed sharpness up from -1 to 0 and turned on the noise reduction to "normal" level.

The decrease in noise is clearly visible, yet I still need some luck and overexposure to avoid noise distracting even at low resolutions. However I still don't see any possibility of using ISO 1600 shots for larger prints.

0 comments:

Previous photos